Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Final Ambient Signal 6/22/2010

WRPI 91.5fm!
http://www.wrpi.org/ for webcast
Tuesdays 6-8pm

Well folks...this is it, the last one. I've been doing shows on WRPI since October of 2004 when I was a freshman here at RPI and now I've graduated with a masters in electronic arts. After going through and counting up every single printed playlist I have..I've found that I've broadcast around 200 shows (literally somewhere like 198 playlists in my stuffed cd folder). It's been an adventure for sure.

I feel honored to be able to expose the area to my favorite music over the years. A lot of my tastes have changed but so much of them have stayed the same at the core I think...I'm ending the show with the very first song I ever played on WRPI, Gunner by Denali, a band from my hometown Richmond , VA. I've always considered this song to be my sort of awakening to good bands and more unusual music..and definitely one of the first songs I obsessed over, listening to it on loop for the first day I heard it back in high school.

I really appreciate the nice calls from people thanking me for the great music over the years. I hope I provided an outlet for people interested in finding something a little different for themselves. I know this show kind of feels selfish in that I'm only playing my favorite songs, but it feels like the most natural ending for me. There's a part of me in each one of these and you could probably learn a lot about me just by taking bits and pieces from each one. I hope to continue finding new bands and playing them for people after this. The important advice I can offer is to like what you like because you like it, not because someone told you it was good...

Doves - The Last Broadcast
Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Radiohead - Let Down
Battles - SZ2
Colour Revolt - Mattresses underwater
Bright Eyes - Train under water
Margot and the Nuclear so and so's - Talking in Code
Midlake - Roscoe (acoustic)
Brand New - Play Crack the Sky
Bibio - Haikuesque (When She Laughs)
The Album Leaf - Streamside
Bon Iver - Woods
Camera Obscura - Books Written for Girls
Ramona Falls - Bellyfulla
Feist - I feel it all
Menomena - Air Aid
Broken Social Scene - Hotel
Mew - Introducing Palace Players
Phantogram - Let me go
The Velvet Teen - Noi Boi
Sigur Ros - Untitled 8
Gayngs - The Gaudy Side of Town
Bright Eyes - Tourist Trap
Beach House - Walk in the park
Freelance Whales - Broken Horse
Radical Face - Welcome Home
Animal Collective - Fireworks
Land of Talk - A Series of Small Flames
Why? - Gemini (Birthday Song)
Typhoon - CPR/Claws pt. 2
Son Lux - Stand
The Helio Sequence - Back to this
The Album leaf - Twenty-two fourteen
Bright Eyes - Lime Tree
Cat Power - Metal heart
Neva Dinova - On/Off
Hammock - The Air Between us
Amiina - Fjarkanistan
Sigur Ros - Svefn g-englar
The Velvet Teen - Forlorn
The Get Up Kids - Walking on a wire
Bright Eyes/The Album Leaf - Hungry for a holiday
Denali - Gunner

4 comments:

Pete said...

It's really the end of an era here. Thanks for everything you've done for the station over the last six years, and thanks for helping me to broaden my own taste in music. You'll be missed!

Rob said...

This was my first Ambient Signal and I'm sad it will be my last.

Good luck, and thanks for the tunes!

Little Lauren said...

Pete is right- it is certainly the end of an era. Since I've left RPI along with WRPI I haven't checked this blog very often. Something compelled me to take a look today and I'm so glad I did because I got to see your final playlist. Such a great show :) You'll definitely be missed by all your listeners. Also, props on all the Bright Eyes songs. Hehe.

darynr said...

I was just listening to the last Camera Obscura album and it occurred to me that you must have left WRPI by now. So I came to check the blog. I'm sorry I missed the last show by a couple weeks.

Your music directorship and shows were both excellent.

thanks for everything and all the best.